nafex - [NAFEX] overlooked fruits

  • From: "Rodney" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] overlooked fruits
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:18:39 -0700

I would like to see someone work with cotoneaster as I keep coming across places that say some varieties are edible - they just don't taste like it. Now if someone could develop one of the edible varieties into a good tasting edible fruit we could have our hedge and eat it too.

I don't blame people for not being interested in growing their own fruit. Many people just want a well manicured lawn that looks sterile except for the fact that it is green. They pay someone else to keep the weeds out and are happy to let it go at that as they don't have/want the time and trouble to do it themselves. For the most part well manicured lawns and fruit trees don't mix well in my area as they are on different watering/fertilizing regimens. I doubt I would have any fruit if I had to spray (apples once a year, plums and cherries once or twice with sevin for pear slugs) my fruit trees multiple times just to hope for a crop. Developing new varieties is a pretty large task that some people have the time, talent, and luck to work in that area (as Paul Ford with his peaches) so that they can take advantage of the opportunities life has already offered them.

I agree with Tom about Garden Clubs, Master Gardeners, etc. as they all seem to have interest only in plants that have a proven track record in their immediate area and usually discourage people from trying anything new.