nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Southmeadow

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Southmeadow
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:57:33 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Southmeadow is a sham. Beautiful catalog, yes. Reputable, no. Despite
intervention by the Michigan Attorney General's office and the Postal Service
Fraud unit, I never got either the trees I ordered, or my money back. The
attorney general's office said they have tried to intervene on behalf of
numerous customers who ordered trees, but got nothing. The amounts lost per
person are small, so the State doesn't take them to court. There was a rumor
of a class-action lawsuit filed a few years ago by an Iowa fellow, but I
don't know what, it anything, came from that.

On a more pleasant note, I got nice scionwood of Pitmaston Pineapple from
Trees of Antiquity (actually Foxwhelp Farms, but ToA is the intermediary). I
had fruit the second year (but the bunnies got them first off the small M27
trees).

Anton
Zone 8, where the Peento peaches are in full bloom and were wonderfully
fragrant today!