nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tomato?

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tomato?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:18:20 -0800

I do intensive gardening, putting my plants in a wide bed and planting in
blocks rather than rows. I thin to the minimum recommended between-plant
spacings. Every once in a while I'll space a couple plants too closely, and
as they grow, one will have to be thinned out; otherwise, the smaller plant
will just die away under the larger plants.

The better analog to two-together (they're not really in the same hole, but
spaced 10 times closer than they would be in a row) tree planting would be
in container planting. When the two trees are planted closely, they can't
spread toward each other, but have room to spread outward in other
directions. You can definitely plant two or three tomatoes in a container
that only has the surface square footage one garden plant would use. The
two or three plants will spill over the sides, which could be a nice effect,
or problematic depending on the container and its placement.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate