nafex - [NAFEX] Margie Luffman/Harrow search for older fruits

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Margie Luffman/Harrow search for older fruits
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:55:51 -0600

A public post to Margie Luffman, and to all,
I was searching for an heirloom cultivar of winter squash that the seed
company I
work for wants to grow-out, and I ended up on the Seeds of Diversity website.
Seeds of Diversity is a similar outfit to Seed Savers' Exchange in the US.
There
was a page about Margie Luffman enlisting Seeds of Diversity's members help in
finding older varieties of strawberries, black raspberries, and blackberries,
with a long list and the nurseries that originated the cultivar. What excited
me
was the fact that all were selected/bred in fairly northerly climates.
Ms. Luffman, could you comment on how this is going, if you have had any luck
tracking these down? An exchange to ARS with anything you have recovered would
make ongoing Maine nursery Rubus trials very interesting. Thanks for any
feedback.
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine