nafex - [NAFEX] Saskatoon Woes

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Saskatoon Woes
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:49:08 -0500

Hi everyone;

Have any of you tackled Entomosporium fungus on Saskatoons or any other food crop plant?
Same goes for Wooly Elm Aphids around the roots.

I own Dr. Richard St. Pierre's Saskatoon manual for orchardists, and it depicts both cases in excellent color photographs. My plants are leaning towards WEA, but could still be fungus. I didn't see any fungicides listed for food crops, but other research has mentioned Sulfur. Remember that Saskatoons, like apples, are all members of the Rose clan. Lime Sulfur may even work. It does a decent job on my apples.

The Saskatoon Farm has weighed in with their thoughts, as has "S'toons 'n Stuff", both Saskatoon orchards.
If it is Woolies at the roots, is there a 'pesticide injection tool' for liquid death, or would you drop granules and roto-till them in? The 'book' recommends Orthene for WEA. I'd use something a little tamer if possible.

If it wasn't a 4 hour drive and frozen soil I'd be there now, diggin up a few.

Thank you in advance.

Richard