nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Prunus americana i.d.

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Prunus americana i.d.
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:55:51 GMT

Tanis,
I have keyed them out, and the most common on our farm is P. americana. We
only have a few P. nigra (the name for the Canada wild plum in my books); the
nigra blooms earlier, and the stamens turn red when the petals fall off,
giving the tree a pinkish cast. Also the nigra tends to be solitary, and the
americana sends up suckers like crazy. When I'm driving around I mostly see
the americana. I've only found 1 Canada plum with tasty fruit (of course the
ones I watch don't make many fruit), while most of the common wild plums are
good although the skins are astringent. I don't doubt that there are hybrids
out there.
Muffy Barrett
Baraboo, WI

-- tanis grif wrote:
I think the common one is canadensis and the less common
is americana. Or did the latin names get changed when I wasn't looking?