nafex - [NAFEX] apple tree pruning

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple tree pruning
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 14:22:45 -0500

I pulled this line from the Pennsylvania Tree Fruit Production Guide:

(This was for feathered trees - At planting (for Vertical Axe training)):
 <<Remove any lateral branches that are more than 1/2 the diameter of the trunk. Remaining branches can be headed back by 1/3 their length if they are weak or left unpruned if they are strong>>

Also on pruning Vertical Axe:
<<Always remember when the tree is young that you want to retain the weak horizontal growth of the tree and remove the vigorous upright shoot growth. >>

<<
By the 5th growing season the tree should have settled down into a good bearing habit. Begin to remove one of the least desirable lower tier scaffold branches and continue each year until there are only four remaining. Remove branches that become too thick.

and

<<
Remove any branches in the upper portion of the tree that are greater than 1/2 the diameter of the central axis. Leave the weaker fruiting wood in the top of the tree and remove vigorous shoots.

Of course if you're not doing Vertical Axe, the rules might be different, but I think in general too large
side branches are considered 'bad'.

the Production Guide Web site:

The link to the Vertical Axe training slides is in the black 'header'.

Take care,

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W