nafex - [NAFEX] Salmonberry + a BIG Thank You

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Salmonberry + a BIG Thank You
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 08:08:07 -0600

Title: Salmonberry + a BIG Thank You
Pete,
   Thanks alot for your negative comments.  Your message, plus a few others, helped me make the decision to investigate Salmonberry no further.  I'm in the jelly, jam and syrup business and have recently been bombarded with ideas for new flavors.  I'm finding that NAFEXers are being extremely helpful in helping me decide which fruits to investigate further.
--
Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm

Jim:

Have you tasted Salmonberry?  Do you know of any decent varieties?  When
I lived in Redmond WA this past spring and summer, I finally had a
chance to taste some wild salmonberries.  They're all over the place on
the "wet" side of the cascades, and they look delicious!  Unfortunately,
even the choicest wild specimens I found were insipid at best (though
very attractive and juicy)

Here's a photo of what I believe to be a salmonberry from one of my
hikes:
http://home.comcast.net/~pxbacher/Seattle/SpectacleLake/SL_SalmonBerry.jpg

I'd be very interested in hearing about any decent-tasting varieties you
may know of.

Pete Chrisbacher
SE PA - Zone 6B

  • [NAFEX] Salmonberry + a BIG Thank You, Jim Fruth, 02/05/2006