nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Woven Ground Cover

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Woven Ground Cover
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 21:14:59 -0600

Tanis,
I use a 4' wide roll of the black woven polyester fabric for my grapes,
which is laid down the whole length of the row and the grapes planted
through holes in it. The woven polyester is very strong and completely weed
free - you can lay it down over green grass and not a blade will come
through. If organic material is allowed to accumulate on top of the fabric
weeds will sprout and the roots penetrate the fabric from above, so if you
mulch over it mulch heavily. It has been in for 6 years now without
covering and it looks like it will go another 2 or 3 more. It is expensive
at about $85 per 250' roll but that doesn't amount to much per year. It is
a better material for grapes than organic mulch since grapes like a warm
soil. Water does not freely penetrate so it is not so good until the plants
get established and the roots extend beyond the fabric. I haven't tried it
around trees but if should work if you can make a depression that will hold
water - water will go through it slowly. Tuck cut ends under or is will
fray.

Dave
Zone 4a

used to change other email options):