nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Salmonberry

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher.ls@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Salmonberry
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 14:42:00 -0500

Jim:

Have you tasted Salmonberry? Do you know of any decent varieties? When I lived in Redmond WA this past spring and summer, I finally had a chance to taste some wild salmonberries. They're all over the place on the "wet" side of the cascades, and they look delicious! Unfortunately, even the choicest wild specimens I found were insipid at best (though very attractive and juicy)

Here's a photo of what I believe to be a salmonberry from one of my hikes: http://home.comcast.net/~pxbacher/Seattle/SpectacleLake/SL_SalmonBerry.jpg

I'd be very interested in hearing about any decent-tasting varieties you may know of.

Pete Chrisbacher
SE PA - Zone 6B