nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Akebia

  • From: Bob Hartley <bob@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Akebia
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:49:16 -0500

I have two Akebia species, quinata and trifoliata. The nursery I got them from said they will cross pollinate. Both have bloomed but only the quinata has fruited The fruit (picture attached) is a large pod which opens when ripe to expose the edible part. The latter is a stiff, clear, colorless gel, maybe 2 by 10 cm. with roughly a hundred embedded seeds., which are round, hard, smooth and about two millimeters in diameter. The gel is sticky, very sweet, but with very little flavor. The vine is four or five years old and had eight or ten fruits last summer.

Bob Hartley, Adams County, PA z6

P.S. I tried to include a picture attachment but it wouldn't go.

mauch1@aol.com wrote:

I know Akebia has been talked about on this listserv before, but I can't remember
the details. Is it attractive, productive, hardy, and how is the fruit? Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation