nafex - [NAFEX] storing scionwood

  • From: derry and bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] storing scionwood
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:29:10 -0800

Alexander,

Are you referring to apple scions? Or other fruit scions?

Where do you live?

I'm storing mine at 1-3°C (about 34-37°F), but the peach and plum are often not very good in May.

Derry

http://derrysorchardandnursery.ca

Alexander Dragotin wrote:

Your phrase "...scion breaks dormancy in storage!" isn't valid, if
the
scions are stored properly.
I wrap the scions in a moist (but not wet) newspaper sheets, put them

in a plastic bag and keep them frozen in an refrigerator at temperature
of 23 Grad F/-5 Grad C. Sometimes I cut the scions in December to avoid
damage due to strong freezing upon the months January and February.
Storing the scions frozen I enjoy the scions even in April and May
without any degradation in their quality. And the scions buds are
assured still dormant.
I use a common refrigerator provided with more accurate self made
electronic temperature regulator instead of the usual thermostat.
Alexander Dragotin