nafex - Re: [NAFEX] check your refrigerator temperature/ apple storage

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] check your refrigerator temperature/ apple storage
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:09:40 -0600

I store my apples, just a halfdozen bushels or more for our own use, in our
root cellar. The temp varies from 50 down to 35 or less over the winter, but
I make an effort to cool the apples after picking, as quickly as possible by
moving them outside during cool nights and then into the milkhouse during the
day, until the root cellar is down in the 40s in the fall.

I put them in large plastic bags that I get from the local food co-op, in
old plastic milk crates, the kind that held 4 one-gallon jugs.

My Melrose, Northwestern Greenings, Yellow Newtosh, and Firesides are holding
up well, and the Regent and even Empire are still edible. Last year I ate my
last apple from the root cellar on July 4th--I had missed a bag in the
corner, and the last 2 or 3 apples were somewhat wrinkly but still tasty.

I would like to have better storage, but have been surprised at how well they
have done in our root cellar.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI

<<winmail.dat>>

  • Re: [NAFEX] check your refrigerator temperature/ apple storage, Erdman, Jim, 01/23/2006