nafex - Re: [NAFEX] check your refrigerator temperature

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] check your refrigerator temperature
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 02:15:14 -0600

Here are the storage tips in our U-Pick brochure we pass on to our customers here at Royal Oak Farm Orchard:

In the bag.if you buy apples in a plastic bag, which helps retain juiciness of the apples, leave them there. Make sure that there are several air holes in the bag, then store the bag in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator. Cool air between 32-34 degrees F. prevents apples from losing their crunch and spoilage. Apples ripen 10 times faster at room temperature than when refrigerated. Cool air helps prevent decay and helps maintain quality, juiciness, and crispness. One bad apple.undetected - can spoil the bunch. That's why it's important to sort and use apples with defects immediately. Only perfect apples, free of bruise and decay, should be kept for later use.

The ethylene gas emitted by apples acts as a ripening hormone on other plants as well. If you store a number of apples in the refrigerator, you may notice undesirable changes in their neighbors. Carrots become bitter. Potatoes tend to sprout and shrivel. Asparagus toughens. Brown spots may appear on lettuce. And cucumbers turn yellow. Not that ethylene is all bad! To speed the ripening of a bag of hard tomatoes, slip in an apple and seal.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "tanis grif" <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>