nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit tasting (process)

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit tasting (process)
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:03:13 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I've tried this. I've found it's no good to do taste-tests during other
orchard work, because everything tastes great when I'm thirsty & hungry. And
don't care much how fruit looks.

I've also tried taking samples of various apples to neighbors & friends, w/
request
that they eventually tell me what they think of the fruits. I usually add the
threat "Be honest, because I'll be delivering more of the ones you like in
future
years." Still, the comments I get back are about the characteristics which
matter
to the recipients-- not necessarily the ones I hope for. I try to give away
the
best-looking fruits; the most common comment is "Thank you", rather than "Oh
pretty".

I don't yet have the amounts of fruit cultivars nor interested tasters for
arranging
a formal taste-test party. If/when I do, no one leaves without completing a
pre-printed eval form.

--- Rodney <> wrote:

> ...Are there other fruit tasters out there make a serious attempt to rate
> fruits
by taste, appearance, etc.?