nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Four to a hole?

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Four to a hole?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:36:02 -0600

I've been planning on planting four to a hole but although Dave Wilson
Nurseries is for it, a number of people I've run into in the last
couple months have advised against it. Is anyone on the list
successfully growing fruit trees four to a hole? Am I nuts to consider
doing this?

Spidra Webster

What???? I think you have got some mixed info here. On the one hand, if
you were planting SEEDS, you might plant 4 per hole and then in a couple of
years cut out all but the best tree. I HAVE seen two plums growing as one
tree, they did very nicely, cropped a couple of weeks apart. The only other
thing I can imagine is that you might plant 4 trees in a sort of "bed", with
1 per corner and the ground beneath well taken care of and maybe a few
ornamentals as well. Donna