nafex - Re: [NAFEX] jujube in a pot

  • From: lee reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] jujube in a pot
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 10:54:40 -0500

This quote from my book Uncommon Fruits for every Garden (Timber Press, 2004) should help clarify some of this thread:

            Small, inconspicuous, yellow flowers grow in clusters of one to half a dozen or more in leaf axils of the growing branchlets. Flower buds are initiated the same year the flowers open. The plants have an extended blossoming period that continues sporadically throughout the growing season, with the first blossoms to mature being those closest to the base of a branchlet. Artificial lighting, such as a streetlight, can further prolong the flowering period. Individual flowers, however, are receptive to pollen for only a day or less.

            Pollination needs of the jujube are not clearly defined. Some cultivars need cross-pollination and others are either self-fertile or set parthenocarpic fruits, but these needs might change with climate. Allegedly self-fertile clones commonly set more and larger fruit with cross-pollination. That said, there are some cultivars, such as ‘Silverhill’, ‘Swoboda’, and ‘Leon Burk’, that set prodigious crops in isolation, yielding stones with aborted kernels.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book
Weedless Gardening

On Jan 7, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Bassem Samaan wrote:

>I'm not familiar with the persimmon but the jujube in the photo album is outstanding.
>I've had them to bloom when small but never had fruit on such a small tree, any
secret to it?       LDavis, zone 7B/8A midGA

It's very impressive how it fruited... I actually got it while in fruit... from Edible Landscaping... I have a large Li jujube in my yard that been blooming for 2 years but no fruit... But this one was grown at edible landscaping greenhouse... Mik mcconky said he didn't have any jujubes close by in same greenhouse... and no pollinators..

Li suppose to be partially self-fertile... I didn't see it produce.. so I ended up planting another variety next to it.. which is Lang. It's amazing that Mike had other jujubes that fruited in a pot... I've also seen someone else has a tree that fruited in a container... What I'm guessing is... rain will hinder the fruiting. so if it's in a greenhouse... the pollen won't be damaged by rain... Another thing could be humidity... low humidity may have a factor...

Here's that photo again: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b172/Bassgarden/jujube.jpg

Bassem Zone 6, pa