nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple pulp & other acid compost

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas@tbeckett.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple pulp & other acid compost
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:07:24 -0500

AL PERNICHELE wrote:
> Like
> the idea of composting the pulp. Do you add anything to the pulp
> before composting it?? Need a carbon source?

I definitely wouldn't compost the pomace all by itself. That would be a
mess. I just throw it in to my regular compost bin and heap leaves or
straw or grass clippings on top. And stir periodically. This is my
first time composting with pomace, so it will have to wait until spring
for the final proof.

It occurs to me that if one wants to make a batch of especially acidic
compost, there are a couple of other things one could use: coffee
grounds and pine needles. Pine straw is abundant some places. Some
coffee shops keep their used coffee grounds in a separate waste
container and will give the black mess to anyone who asks.

Do the more experienced composters here have any suggestions or comments.

TaB