nafex - [NAFEX] Heritage Raspberries in GA

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Heritage Raspberries in GA
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:02:06 -0500

Melinda,
Chris gave some good info and links; the NC State HIL series on raspberries and blackberries have been useful for us.

My father in Augusta had a similar problem to yours: he bought so-called Heritage raspberries from a Georgia nursery, they thrived but never bloomed in Augusta, probably due to the heat.  We dug them all out and I traded them here for other plants.  Once they bloomed here in mountains, they turned out to be wineberries, and I had egg on my face.  I learned the hard way what Jesus said: By their fruits you will know them. One family I shared the plants with has adapted by making wineberry instead of raspberry jam as planned.  I didn't have a Heritage plant then to compare, but wineberries have many more prominent orange hairs on the stems, you could do a Google image search and see wineberry stems.  http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/pwc/rubus-art.html  This link was posted by our own Joseph Postman, and is a watercolor of wineberry over 100 yrs old, with good detail of the larger, straight thorns and the many smaller hairs.

We bought Heritage from another nursery, and they are yielding for my father very well, with mulch and adequate water in a raised bed, as Chris recommends.

J.C. Raulston, a generous plantsman from NC, once wrote he may have killed more plants than anyone alive, as he learned what would work in your conditions.  So don't be afraid to ask, or to get rid of what doesn't work.

Richard Moyer
East Tennessee, 1800', Zone 6

  3. Heritage Raspberries in Georgia (John McCuan)
Message: 3