nafex - Re: [NAFEX] GMO and Breeding

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] GMO and Breeding
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:45:46 +0000

A couple comments:

Yes it may seem like the FDA/USDA is a "revolving door" or some other part of the problem. They can only do so much, UNDER THE REGULATIONS THEY HAVE. In order to regulate something, it has to exist first. Hence, regulation & oversight of gmo could not happen BEFORE gmo existed. The key is to develop a regulations method which can follow the new technologies like fish in a school.

I have to agree w/ the person who said "think about what we're doing". If you do even the "safe" plant breeding method of, say, selecting for tough corn stalks to fend off european corn borers, it takes only a couple years to thereby breed for ECBs w/ stronger mandibles.