nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw

  • From: "" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 06:09:33 -0600

>I ordered already for the spring a pawpaw "mango" variety. Does
anyone have experience
growing this >variety? I'm wondering if it will do well in zone 6 pa. Since
it was
discovered in Tifton, Ga..

I don't have any experience with 'Mango', but doubt that you'll have
any signifiicant
problem with it. I sent an A.parviflora selection from a similar Southern
location
to my friend Gordon Nofs, up in Flint, MI, and at last report, it was still
growing
just fine.

>The discribtion sounds promising... however I'm not sure how the
flavor is compared
to others... and on >productivity. I Only have room for 3 pawpaw so I'm gonna
plant
sunflower, taytoo, and mango. So I'm >looking for the best varieties.

I've not had an opportunity to sample any of the named-variety
pawpaws, but will
offer than I've never been able to ascertain any appreciable difference in
flavor
among the wild-collected pawpaws I've eaten. You're not necessarily limited
just three varieties, even though space is limited - once these trees get a
bit
larger, you can foster multiple varieties on by grafting - I think Gordon had
one
tree that had at least 20 varieties at one time or another.

Lucky

  • Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw, , 01/02/2006