nafex - [NAFEX] More Blackberry comment

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: Nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] More Blackberry comment
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:45:19 EST

I have followed the "blackberry postings" with interest. There have been a lot of good information there. I planted the new "Prime Jan" and "Prime Jim" primocaine berries this spring and have been very satisfied with them. They are very thorney but I like the idea of cutting them to the ground in winter and getting a good fall crop.

I tipped them a bit late this year and the Jim was a little too late - we had an early killing frost, then Indian Summer and there were a lot of berries and blooms left that were killed. The Prime Jan seems to be a bit earlier and not quite as vigorous as the Prime Jim. The berries were great, large excellent taste and seem to be high yielding. This was the first year and I am looking forward tonext year to see how they expand. There were a few new primocaines that came up late in the fall. I have ordered more plants of both for next spring.

I also planted a few (6) Tripple Crown to test them. I am in Zone 5, but often we seem to be zone 6 so I may get something from them. They grew very well and have produced a lot of vine, I have them on trellis like grapes.

Ed Mashburn
Central PA
Zone 5A

  • [NAFEX] More Blackberry comment, Ribes60, 12/17/2005