nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blackberry cold tolerance

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blackberry cold tolerance
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:25:26 -0600

Title: Message
Michele, I have a row of Illini Hardy in my garden here in St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Hardiness Zone 4b?).  I have had the planting in maybe 6 years, and have had good harvests about 3 of those years.  One year I lost the entire crop because rabbits gnawed the bark off the canes (as well as those of the black and purple raspberries) during a snowy winter.  Last summer I had a poor fruit set and harvest, which I attributed to very widely fluctuating temperatures the winter before as well as to poor hardening-off weather in the fall.  It was a real disappointment since I've come to love blackberry cobblers and  jam.  I don't know whether I'll keep the Illini Hardy; I've spoken for several of John Bunker's plants and may try the new primocane blackberries from the Univ. of Arkansas.  Trouble is, space is very limited and thorny, upright cultivars need considerable room. -- Sam Brungardt