nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ornamental Blueberries

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ornamental Blueberries
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:47:06 -0600

Most of the newer blueberry varieties were selected to be short, so if you
want tall plants, you may have to go with a rabbiteye or some of the
"old-fashioned" northern types. Tifblue is a good ornamental, but you will
need another rabbiteye variety for good fruit production. For a NH, Bluecrop
has nice fall color and can be pruned to fit your space requirements, and
crops well without another pollinator. If height is not a major issue, the
most ornamental blueberry I have grown is Sharpblue. It is a very low chill
southern highbush variety, but quite hardy, with a nice deep red color in
the fall. Mine hangs on to the leaves until single digit temps. Even though
I am in a very high-chill area, it has been productive so far, but would
probably not work well if you get a lot of late frosts.

Hal
z6b TN