nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tolman Sweet apple

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tolman Sweet apple
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:56:29 +0000

Yes sweet, but more like good honey than a candy or soda. Texture is not so crisp as many people like. It also has a rougher skin-- but not russetted-- which can be points against on taste-tests. I have 2 trees probably Tolman; one had a more complex 'gourmet' flavor but didn't keep as well as the other which isn't quite as rich a flavor. And this 2nd one is getting sweeter in storage.

Both my Tolmans have good branch angles naturally, and have better disease resisitance than average. Bore w/o supplimental irrigation in a drought year (Antanovka on light soil w/ silt subsoil.)

Try before you plant a tree, and store some a while, but if you grow a tree it will be in the 'grower friendly' group. (Intervention required for decent fruit, but not tree health.)

tc, z 4/5, s.WI