nafex - [NAFEX] virus sensitivity and apple grafting

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] virus sensitivity and apple grafting
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 07:20:39 -0500

All this talk of rootstocks has reminded me of the question I will face this spring. Last spring I bought some trees from Cummins. Two of them were trees I wanted, and I purchased the third mostly to trial its rootstock.

Ashmeads Kernal of M7
Tydeman's Late ORange on M111
Golden Russet on G30 (purchased mostly for the rootstock)

I also want to grow a Karmijn, of which they were sold out. I have a couple of branches of Karmijn growing on a crab. Other than the winter moths and scab, they look healthy enough, but don't get much sun.

Does anyone know how sensitive G30 is to random viruses? The simplest thing to do would be to graft the Karmijn directly to the G30, but it's on a crab with 4 other cultivars, and who knows what viruses lurk in that tree. (I had another multi-graft crab that died a couple of years after I grafted to it. We had two summers of drought, but I think it was probably weakened by some virus. I was careful about not moving directly between the trees - washed everything and grafted on different days with differently sourced scions, but it is a warning.)

So the safer thing is probably to move the Asmeads to the G30, and the Karmijn to the M7. But it's more work and exposes me to a higher risk of messing up with the grafting.

Advice?

Also, if I'm grafting among trees on the property, would you recommend grafting spring twigs or summer buds? And if spring twigs, would you collect them early, or just cut them when I am ready to use them, in April?

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass. zone 6

  • [NAFEX] virus sensitivity and apple grafting, Ginda Fisher, 12/10/2005