nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple grafting beginner question

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple grafting beginner question
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:42:15 -0600

On Dec 6, 2005, at 12:40 PM, Deb Schneider wrote:

> . . . Can I get a rootstock somewhere? ; How does one go about
> picking a rootstock? . . .

I'll second Ginda's recommendation for Cummins Nursery.

Now, as to picking a rootstock...responses may be as varied as the number of respondents.

I've come to the realization that, in my orchard, I need something that will anchor well, and tolerates a clay soil and high water table. M7 has been the best performer for me - mileage will vary elsewhere.
Some folks will advocate selecting a rootstock for your particular soil/growing conditions, and after that - size control is in YOUR hands, regardless of rootstock or scion vigor. Along those lines, I enjoy Ed Laivo's take on dwarfing rootstocks and pruning -
Dwarf Tree? But it's so BIG!
http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/all_ed/teds_head06_dwarf.html

Lucky