nafex - [NAFEX] pH Meters

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: Nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pH Meters
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:05:53 EST

I bought a Kelway meter from A. M. Leonard, it was a mid range cost meter. I had used a cheepy several years ago and found that it often gave erratic readings. The Kelway seemed to be much better, then I got a load of spent mushroom soil that was supposed to have a pH of about 6.5 to 7.5. The garden soil read about 6. the mushroom soil read about 4.5. I applies about 3 to 4 inches and tilled it in and the reading several weeks later was 6.7. I sent samples of soil and of the mushroom soil to Penn State and their reading on the mushroom soil was 7.7.

I called the Kelway company and told them what had happened. They said that the Kelway was very accurate up to about 7, but from that point up it was very erratic. There was nothing in the literature indicating this.

Just thought I would pass this on.

Ed Mashburn
Central PA
Zone 5A

  • [NAFEX] pH Meters, Ribes60, 12/09/2005