nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best Dwarfing Rootstock for Pears?

  • From: natelson@stehlinclinic.com
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best Dwarfing Rootstock for Pears?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:57:51 -0600 (CST)

I would think you should try Pyrodwarf(there are two separate rootstocks
sold under this name, which, presumably, vary in their size control. The
original version of this rootstock is not vigorous enough (possibly in
part because of its high chill requirement) in the South but should work
in your climate. I have no information about the later introduced
Pyrodwarf clone. Pyrodwarf should have wide pear compatibility as it is
an Old Home cross. OH x F 217 would be another possibility, as would OH x
F 513. The former produces a small but useful sized tree in the South,
but, I suspect, would be a bit larger in the North. OH x F 513 is a
fairly low chill rootstock, as far as OH crosses go, but, for some other
reason, does not have enough vigor in the South, like Pyrodwarf.

You don't sound like you are interested in interstem trees, but for pears,
grafting is easy and does not reduce the take rate in a significant way.