nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Manganese poisoning test proposal

  • From: lee reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Manganese poisoning test proposal
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:13:37 -0500

When I was in graduate school at the University of Maryland 25 years ago, Dr. Shanks had a test planting of oriental persimmons at the university's experimental station over on the eastern shore in Wye, MD. There were very good crops of a number of varieties.

I spoke to Michael Newell at the station and he said that the trees are still doing well. Soils are naturally acidic (about 5.5) but have been limed. He said there's another experimental planting at the university's western Maryland station, where temperatures are colder. Those also are still alive.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden
A Northeast Gardener's Year