nafex - [NAFEX] Manganese poisoning test proposal.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Manganese poisoning test proposal.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 01:11:26 EST

In a message dated 12/1/2005 7:15:16 PM US Eastern Standard Time, topgun@otelco.net writes:

Are you sure it is Manganese deficency? In Louisiana the wetter sites with
pecans had the highest Manganese levels. I ran over 1,000 samples over
several years and this was the trend. Corn can show stripes from Magnesium
as well as zinc deficiencies

It has been suggested but never proven that one cause of kaki death is Manganese poisoning due to low pH or acid soil. Lee is correct, sulfur would only worsen the problem.  Unless that isn't one of the causes of KSD. Someone where kaki can be grown and is on acid soil needs to set up an experiment. I can't do it in Indiana.

What I'd suggest is as follows. Establish 10 D. virginiana 90 chromosome seedlings in a block on low pH soil where KSD is a known problem. Then in another area next to it another 10 D. virginiana 90C seedlings and lime that area so the pH is 6.5 or higher at a depth of 12 inches. Once the seedlings are established, about 3 years, graft them all to a variety of kaki and I'd suggest Jiro. If the grafts in the acid soil shepherd hook and die while those on the limed block survive it would be good evidence of mineral poising. Would it not?  Discussion please.

I'll supply all the seeds anyone needs free.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Manganese poisoning test proposal., Jwlehman, 12/02/2005