nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Potted Figs?

  • From: dtv@mwt.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Potted Figs?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:52:27 -0600 (CST)

Hey Steve, I owe you a letter but I'll fire off quickly that my best this
year was Conadria, giant figs which ripened at the very last minute.
They were the size that most of the breba figs usually become. Not sure
if you could ripen them out doors in the freezer you live in but they may
ripen in your garage if they don't freeze too hard.

Also i agree with your accessment of hardy chicago. Lotsa small not to
flavorful figs, but I'm thinking this is a nutrient deficiency & am gonna
try rock dust or azomite on my collection next year to see if I can get a
noticeable change in flavor.

On the downside of collecting figs. Everyone of my figs had rooted pretty
extensively in the ground & it took hours to prune them free. & then it
took me 7 hours to get the collection down into my basement (about 75
plants in 5-15 gallon containers. What people will do to support their
fruit fantasies....

~mIEKAL