nafex - Re: [NAFEX] "Date plum" persimmon, Diospyros lotus

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] "Date plum" persimmon, Diospyros lotus
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:45:31 EST

In a message dated 11/18/2005 6:04:45 AM US Eastern Standard Time, topgun@otelco.net writes:

I have a "Mexican" persimmon which is said to be evergreen and  still ahve
in a pot after 6 years. No fruit so far. I would plant it out if I thought
it would not freeze back. It has choclate colored fruits.

Topgun
Zone 7

Sounds to me like D. digyna, ever green from Mexico. Large fruits, 3" plus, black flesh, tastes similar to Kaki mild. It may not bear fruit w/o a pollinator. They will not tolerate long periods of cool weather, according to descriptions I've read.

I've tasted them, not bad, not good. :-) I've read they make reasonably good malted mikes. The ones I tasted weren't sweet and sweet would have made them better.

Jerry