nafex - Re: [NAFEX] "Date plum" persimmon, Diospyros lotus

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] "Date plum" persimmon, Diospyros lotus
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:11:28 -0800

Just had a letter from a man in Victoria, BC who asked for a fruit identification. It was D. Lotus, and with a big crop. He said it had one seed per fruit and was the only tree of the species around, but there were D. kaki trees nearby. The D. lotus tree most likely was a rootstock that had sprouted after the D. kaki top had died.
One complication is that in American, and sometimes in Kaki, female trees can produce limbs of male flowers. Males don't usually produce limbs of female flowers, but under stress, some males have been found to produce perfect flowers.
There is a lot more about this, but suffice it to say that some persimmons can set seedless fruit without males around, and some can produce their own male flowers.
-Lon Rombough