nafex - [NAFEX] Jimmy Acorn; Joseph Hickory, and Patrick PawPaw

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Jimmy Acorn; Joseph Hickory, and Patrick PawPaw
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:13:07 -0500

Did something fun with the kids the last weekend, don't know how useful.  I have
a hedgerow at the backend of my property, beyond which is a farm field.  The
hedgerow is filled with a large amount of rocks, trees of various kinds, junk that
prior occupants had thrown back there, and more than one kind of invasive plant.
I'm not sure whether it's my property or not, to be honest.  I had gathered two
kinds of acorn (white and red), hickory nuts, and pawpaw seeds.  I walked my kids
back there with shovels, and as we tried to get through the underbrush,  I would
stick my shovel in and the kids would drop a seed in.  So maybe a number of years
from know there will be nut trees and Pawpaws, if the invasives and deer don't
get them first.

P.S.  The kids (Jimmy and Joseph, 6, and Patrick, 4) didn't like the knicknames even
though I tried to relate it back to Johnny Appleseed.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation

  • [NAFEX] Jimmy Acorn; Joseph Hickory, and Patrick PawPaw, mauch1, 11/15/2005