nafex - Re: [NAFEX] netting support for blueberries

  • From: lee reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] netting support for blueberries
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:32:33 -0500

I used to net my blueberries with a temporary, walk-in cage whose uprights were 8' long metal electrical conduit pipes pounded into the ground. I connected the tops with pvc plumbing pipe, putting T's at appropriate places to sit on the metal pipes. I then draped netting over the whole cage and held down the edges with metal stapes and pieces of pipe.

I recently upgraded to permanent side netting held up by locust posts whose tops were joined by rebar. When fruit is ripening, I drape light netting over the area and further support the middles with metal conduit pipe capped by an overturned jar.

Attached is a lo-resolution image of the uncovered cage.

JPEG image

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden