nafex - [NAFEX] autumn olive report

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] autumn olive report
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:08:01 +0000

The autumn olives in my neighborhood have gotten numerous enough, and had enough fruit this year, that I tried sorting out some better ones. I didn't find any w/ the larger sized fruits which have been mentioned previously on the list. I still have one patch to check.

Bushes mostly have small bitter fruits, lots of tannic acid. A few w/ more sugar, for a strong tart-sweet zippy flavor. Rarely a flavorless dull one. Biggest problem seems to be season length-- we had a long warm summer, yet even in early Nov some bushes didn't ripen fruits completely. Secondary problem is rabbits feed on bark thru winter, which might rejuvinate a clump but reduces the fruit yield, because autumn olive yields on older wood (at least, the ones I saw.)

I didn't notice any diseases, except maybe a stem canker, but this was always low on the stems and may have been just rabbit damage.

tc, s.WI, some autumn olive on sand, some on silt, some shaded, some sunny