nafex - Re: [NAFEX] buartnuts

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] buartnuts
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:52:18 -0600

At 10:50 AM 11/4/2005, Lee wrote:
Does anyone out there know the pollination needs of buartnut? Are they self-pollinating or do they need another buartnut, a butternut, or a heartnut? A black walnut would work, perhaps?

Lee,
Probably all of the above-mentioned have the capability of being potential pollenators - *IF* pollen-shed/nutlet receptivity patterns are compatible - and this will vary from cultivar to cultivar.  I can't say for sure if a single buartnut would be self-fertile, but certainly if one or more potential pollenators are present, the likelihood of getting good nut crops would be enhanced.
Typically, I would anticipate the buartnut, butternut, heartnut, or Japanese walnut to be your best bet for getting the job done, but there are some confirmed buartXblack trees out there, so cross-pollenation with J.nigra does occur on occasion, even without human intervention.

Lucky

Lee Reich, PhD
www.leereich.com

Books by Lee Reich: