nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple questions

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: <thomas@tbeckett.com>
  • Cc: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple questions
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:06:56 -0500

Hello Tom!

If you are using a 4 wire espalier you can plant your trees 3-4 feet apart. We have a 4 wire system of Ultragold on M-7 with our trees 3-4 feet apart and they are doing great. They run north/south and are in full sun all day. We trim them flat each winter (new growth only). We are in zone 5 in northern Illinois. If you like I can e-mail a photo to you of our system.

With the Kinnaird's Choice you can just let it go. We had an exceptionally warm September and had our Gingergold bloom and produce apples again that are now golf ball size. Gingergold is a mid-August apple for us and the trees are 2 years old. I'd keep your trees outdoors so they can adjust to the climate they will be growing in.

Feel free to e-mail me at any time.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com