nafex - [NAFEX] to fertilize blueberries

  • From: "Rodney Eveland" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] to fertilize blueberries
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:56:19 -0600

I would think that planting Blueberries in ph 7.0 soil would provide
far more transplant shock than adding fertilizer so why not compromise
and plant the blueberries in peat moss, like one of our Nafexers who
said that is how he got around the "wrong soil type" problem, and then
water the blueberries with a "Miracle Grow type" acid fertilizer which
just happens to be about the perfect ph that raspberries are looking
for. They like acid soil. One of the Pomonas of the last year or two
had an article about planting blueberries in a bag of peat moss.
Because I live in an area with heavy alkaline clay, that is what I
would have to do if I wanted to grow blueberries. Ideally the soil ph
should be adjusted to the proper level months before planting.

Here is a general statement about planting blueberries:

In addition to an acid soil, blueberry plants require a soil that is
well aerated and has a high water-holding capacity. Most garden soil
is not good blueberry soil, so modification of the soil is frequently
necessary. Prepare the soil to accommodate one plant by removing soil
from a space 15 inches deep by 24 inches wide by 24 inches long.
Replace this soil with one prepared from 2 bushels well-rotted
sawdust, leaf mold, or peat; 1 bushel loam soil; and 1 cup wettable
sulfur. Mix well and refill the hole with this mixture.

I would think very seriously about putting a $2.00 plant in a $20.00
hole if you want to guarantee success. (Give the plant what it needs
from day 1).
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Eveland;Rodney
FN:Rodney Eveland
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:revelan1@us.ibm.com
REV:20051014T015619Z
END:VCARD

  • [NAFEX] to fertilize blueberries, Rodney Eveland, 10/13/2005