nafex - [NAFEX] Midwest Apple Improvement Association Annual Meeting Info---Everyone Welcomed

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "NAFEX Greetings:" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Midwest Apple Improvement Association Annual Meeting Info---Everyone Welcomed
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:45:11 -0400

Midwest Apple Improvement Ass’n

Making Good Apples Great!

This year’s annual MAIA Membership meeting will be held Saturday, November 12th at the Marion County Extension Office in Indianapolis, IN.  This will be a joint meeting with NEC 1099.  NEC 1099 is a newly formed University Research Project expressly to evaluate new fruit cultivars of apple, peach, nectarine, pear, cherry and apricot.

Marion County Extension Office
6640 Intech Blvd
Indianapolis, IN 46278-2011

www.ces.purdue.edu/marion

From I-65 (northwest side), exit at W. 71st St., go east ~ 1 Mile, right into Intech Park at 1st light (at sign, also note Wendys, bank and shops), go 1/2 way around circle and proceed to Intech #10, right then left into parking.

From I-465 (northwest side), exit at W. 71st St., West to 1st light then left into Intech Park then proceed per directions.

There is a special rate at the Wingate Inn of $70/night.  Be sure to tell them you want the rate for NC140.

Nearby Hotels

Wingate Inn Indianapolis
6240 Intech Commons Dr, Indianapolis, IN
(317) 275-7000
www.wingateinns.com

Clarion Inn & Suites-Northwest
7001 Corporate Dr, Indianapolis, IN
(317) 298-3700
www.choicehotels.com

Northwest Hampton Inn
7220 Woodland Dr, Indianapolis, IN
(800) HAM-PTON

Homestead Studio Suites Indianapolis - Northwest
8520 N.W. Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46278
317-334-7829
www.homesteadhotels.com

Joint MAIA/NE1099 Meeting Agenda

November 12, 2005

8:30 am - Opening remarks by Jim Eckert, MAIA President

8:40 am – Opening remarks by Rob Crassweller, Chairman NE 1099

9:00 am – Overview of NE183/NEC 1099 – History, Goals, Progress, Future - Rob Crassweller

9:25 am - Overview of MAIA - Jim Eckert

9:50 am – Break

10:15 am – Interaction between MAIA and Purdue University, Jules Janick

10:45 am – Interaction between MAIA and Ohio State University, Diane Miller

11:15 am – Status and Update of MAIA Progeny Plantings at Dawes Arboretum and Member Orchards

                   Diane Miller, Greg Bachman and Jim Eckert

12 Noon – Lunch followed by tasting/evaluation of Apples brought in by participants

1:00 pm – New and Promising Malus Germplasm from South Central Asia - Diane Miller

1:30 pm – New Apples, “Club” Controlled Production – Implications for Retail Growers

                 Audience participation/input

2:00 pm – Open Discussion.

·         We want to focus on common interests and goals.  There may well be folks within the academic community interested in some of the germplasm generated by MAIA, maybe for physiological/genetic studies more than for breeding purposes.  Hopefully an open discussion will lead to mutually beneficial avenues for cooperation and/or give us a clearer picture of where we go from here.

 This meeting is open to anyone at no charge.  Any questions phone Jim Eckert at 618-779-8648, Peter Hirst at 765-494-1323 or Ed Fackler at 937-667-2491 ext. 3007.  We look forward to seeing you.