nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fruit bagging

  • From: natelson@stehlinclinic.com
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fruit bagging
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:06:18 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Stephen,

Here in Houston, bagging with various materials worked well for me
for a few years, but the birds and squirrels soon realized the
vulnerability of the bagging system, regardless of the material used.
This year I made bags out of aluminum screening material and
staples. I would say this gave about 85% protection but was more
time consuming. When the bag failed, it was because they gnawed a
perfect circle about 3" in diameter in it to get at the pear or
apple. The screen bags did deter the birds, however. Next year I
will try the zip lock bag plus the screening.

Regards, Ethan