nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Liveland Raspberry

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Liveland Raspberry
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:07:35 -0500

Thanks Donna!
Just the confirmation I needed. For the life of my I can't figure out why
Liveland
Raspberry is not more planted or touted. I always find grafting to be a much
more
pleasant and nearly magical experience when I am grafting a variety that is
really
good. After tasting L. Raspberry, any thought of grafting drudgery has been
banished.
Hands itchy for my knife and parafilm,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Thu Sep 8 18:58 , 'kieran or donna' <redherring@tnaccess.com> sent:

> Has anyone else eaten this apple? Can someone comment on whether L.
>Raspberry has
>a great intense flavor? This apple purporting to be L. Raspberry that I ate
>is the
>best flavored early apple I have ever eaten. The descriptions are relatively
>the
>same, and pictures likewise, but I find no mention of the good flavor in the
>references I have. Really could be described as raspberry-like.
>
>Heron, Yes, I have picked up apples two years running from under a nice big
>healthy looking tree that the owner claims is Liveland Raspberry. Said his
>dad planted it nearly 30 years ago. I was thrilled by the flavor last year,
>the crop was smaller this year and I got fewer that were perfectly ripe, but
>still it was a better apple than any of the other early types I have
>encountered either. The flavor is intense, with a good bite to it, but
>plenty sweet enough, and the texture is good, doesn't go mushy like the
>others when ripe, though it cooks soft. A bit raspberryish, yes. Really a
>good all purpose apple, which is more than I can say for YT or Lodi or
>Striped June, (which overbears tiny fruits on it's "on" years), or Red June,
>which I quite dislike. There's another one about the same time, a great
>flat yellow apple, local to TN and KY, gets terrible CAR. Probably followed
>shortly by the Horse Apple, which is tarter than LR, but very good. (Wish
>mine would decide to grow. It started out on some kind of rootstock the
>wooly apple aphids adore, I grafted from it to a stock that seems resistant,
>but is sure taking it's time.) Rome probably comes in about the same time,
>but it's a really ho-hum, "well it's the only thing coming in right now so I
>guess we may as well eat them" sort of apple. My only worry is that the
>lack of cedar trees in town has let none of the telltale yellow spots that
>tell me the trees will do poorly out in the sticks where there are cedars
>everywhere. If it rains here next year, my little grafted tree will tell me
>whether I need to send it to a nice safe backyard in town. Donna

change other email options):