nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry on Jostaberry graft new question

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry on Jostaberry graft new question
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:39:38 EDT

Charlie, I would consider grafting to Josta rootstock IF it were not so prone to suckering. I still think that there are some good points to grafting to elevate the desired part of the plant. and I think that other forms of grafts may increase the "takes" to a satisfactory level. There are still some down-sides. A plant may be totally lost if the rootstock dies for some reason. I think that grafted plants did not have as long a lifespan as plants on their own roots.

I created somewhat the same effect (Taller plants with a "tree - like" stem) by keeping the lower branches trimmeed off and encouraging the plant to a more upright form on a trellis.
That said, I will probably graft some gooseberries this coming spring because I have some that I want to increase.

Ed Mashburn
Central PA
Zone 5A

  • Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry on Jostaberry graft new question, Ribes60, 09/06/2005