nafex - [NAFEX] Kaolin, and Nature's balance

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Kaolin, and Nature's balance
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:58:02 -0500

Well All,
I have made myself a fool, with Nature the lesson provider. Remember my
cocky
assertions that Kaolin clay could be applied in different forms and methods
and
achieve better Plum Curculio control? The success I thought I was seeing from
my
dabblings were only a mirror of Nature's cycles working in my favor. Plum
Curculio
was almost non-existant (I found two all Spring) in my region of Maine, with
both
treated and untreated trees coming out 99.9% free of Curc bites. This means
what I
thought was working was just a result of an "open" winter (for the first half
of
winter that is). And the same thing happened last summer/spring when I had
light
damage. Our well below average cold Spring also probably affected their
emergence,
but I have only my own observations (at this point not to be trusted). I am
beginning to understand the value of long-term duplicated study. I'll try it
again
next year, and I will be trying Kaolin again straight, rather than Surround..
The benefit of Nature's winter-kill of Curulio is a blessing. Poor
pollination
resulted in light fruit set, but with no Curculio damage, and very light
Codling
Moth damage, there is still plenty of fruit. I do not have a sense of overall
flavor quality after such a cold Spring and cool late Summer. I hope the last
two
winters have impacted the breeding populations for a few years to come, but
if that
is the case my dabbling will be worthless. Ate Chenango Strawberry, Ginger
Gold,
Duchess, Yellow Transparent, and what I think is Liveland or Lowland
Raspberry thus
far.
Has anyone else eaten this apple? Can someone comment on whether L.
Raspberry has
a great intense flavor? This apple purporting to be L. Raspberry that I ate
is the
best flavored early apple I have ever eaten. The descriptions are relatively
the
same, and pictures likewise, but I find no mention of the good flavor in the
references I have. Really could be described as raspberry-like.
Hope everyone is well and enjoying Harvest,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

  • [NAFEX] Kaolin, and Nature's balance, Heron Breen, 09/04/2005