nafex - Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:59:57 -0700

Those intermediate pie apples, like Macoun, are never as firm as the say,
Jonathans or Pippins, nor as mushy as McIntoshes or Bramleys. With Macoun,
I think you would get a firmer pie with fresh apples, not stored. I'm
surprised you find them in the markets there - I never seem them here. You
have to go to the orchards - which are plentiful.

If you try a Spy & Mac pie, go two-thirds to three-quarters Northern Spy,
especially since you (and me both!) like a pie with distinctive and firmish
pieces. I wouldn't choose more than 1/3 of my pie apples from the softer
types.

I am sort of longing for the new crop of apples - but I hate that the end of
summer looms. I can never get enough of sunshine and peaches...

Stephen