nafex - Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:23:11 -0400

Thanks everyone.

Charlie - you live in my general neighborhood. Where can I buy Northern Spies? (reply off list if you like.) I see a few of them for one week at one market, and wonder if anyone sells them in more quantity.

Stephen, I will have to try a multi-variety pie with an eye towards slices in sauce, as you suggest. Perhaps Spy and Macintosh.

Of the other suggested apples, I can buy a few Goldrush or Newton Pippin (like Northern Spy), Jonagold, Stayman Winesap, and of course Macoun, which is very popular around here and is in the supermarket in season. I find Macoun cooks similarly to McIntosh. (Maybe I overcook it?)

I've never seen Suncrisp or Cox's Orange pippin for sale locally. Or a Prairie Spy. Is that a really different apple or just a sport of N Spy, do you think?

Thanks again. I will think of you in pie season. :)

Ginda