nafex - Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:35:44 -0500

Ginda,
Second what Thomas Olenio said: Northern Spy is fantastic in pies but add its
fantastic because it keeps its shape. You might say the antithesis of
Northern Spy in pie-making would be apples that 'cook to applesauce' in a
pie. Northern Spy pie is so distinct that we used to call it "Spy Pie"
because it was immediately identifiable in a pie and was elevated above all
other common pies made in Massachusetts.

That being said, I don't recommend planting Northern Spy because I can never
keep up with all the pruning, and it seems not as resistant to bugs and
fungus as some others. But its definitely worth buying for pies.
Charlie Paradise