nafex - [NAFEX] cooking apples (was Bramley)

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cooking apples (was Bramley)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:00:14 -0400

On Aug 30, 2005, at 1:40 PM, kieran or donna wrote:

. . . and they cook soft. . . . I don't know if it cooks
soft or not.

Okay, enough about apples that cook soft. Can anyone recommend good apples that cook firm, and have excellent cooked flavor? I prefer a firm apple for my pies, and it needs to be tart.

Right now my favorite is Jonathan, which has a very rich flavor and the slices keep their shape nicely in a pie if I don't cook it too long. But it doesn't keep well, and is very hard to find in my neck of the woods even when it is in season (eastern MA) I'm particularly interested in apples I'll be able to buy. We get a pretty good selection of the newer apples from the local farmers market and a few antiques at some pick your own places. But it's a lot of work and record keeping to test-cook each one.

Thanks,
Ginda