nafex - [NAFEX] project continuity/ contingency plans

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] project continuity/ contingency plans
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:17:25 +0000

What kind of contingency plans are NAFEXers making for their plantings? I'm thinking mostly of those explorers who are doing increases on their collections of great selections, and breeders who are making crosses and looking 20 or 30 years ahead. For example, a plum breeder could lose a year just because of a cold at blossom time. Examples from the list include a nursery owner who had a temporarily disabling bike accident, & someone who had to move a 10-year-old orchard because of a land-use dispute, and most recently the death of Tom V of "Applesource" (which is a service rather than an orchard, but same principle applies.)

I have a couple nice chance-seedling apples which I hope I'll share with enough people (and how many are "enough"?!) before I quit gardening in 4 or 40 years. But I'd like to learn what the more serious explorers & breeders have planned for preserving/continuing their work.